Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate model

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stargate model

    I am rewatching SG1 at the moment. And I always wanted to make some SG pictures. Sooo I had to make my own model of the gate now. Yes, i can do stuff that hasn't anything to do with B5. :D

    I am using the event horizon texture from someone here on the forum. I forgot where exactly I found it. Sorry for that.
    I have yet to find out how to reproduce that effect.

    The model so far:
    Attached Files
    DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
    My B5 models: googledocs
    My garden diary: Hossenhof
    Elite Dangerous: Inara

  • #2
    Got to love some Stargate.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think that's my event horizon. In any case, the technique I eventually found to get it working in-camera was really, really stupid. I wonder if it still works post-Lightwave 2018? Something to check.

      Anyway, my solution was;

      Gradient color texture, light blue in the center and dark at the edges.

      Fractal noise reflection map (I think I used a little one that came with Lightwave's stock content package, but anything should work)

      Rippling animated bump texture.

      And, the trick: Ramping the reflectivity of the puddle up to insane levels, 1000%, 10000%, I don't remember, at the center, and "just" 100% at the edges.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by David cgc View Post
        I think that's my event horizon. In any case, the technique I eventually found to get it working in-camera was really, really stupid. I wonder if it still works post-Lightwave 2018? Something to check.

        Anyway, my solution was;

        Gradient color texture, light blue in the center and dark at the edges.

        Fractal noise reflection map (I think I used a little one that came with Lightwave's stock content package, but anything should work)

        Rippling animated bump texture.

        And, the trick: Ramping the reflectivity of the puddle up to insane levels, 1000%, 10000%, I don't remember, at the center, and "just" 100% at the edges.
        Yeah i think you are right, it was yours!

        I will try to reproduce it with your idea. :)
        DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
        My B5 models: googledocs
        My garden diary: Hossenhof
        Elite Dangerous: Inara

        Comment


        • #5
          Close, but its only working if you look head on. mmm

          *edit... no its not close at all. Doesn't look like water -.-
          Attached Files
          DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
          My B5 models: googledocs
          My garden diary: Hossenhof
          Elite Dangerous: Inara

          Comment


          • #6
            I dont think anyone managed to do a convincing kawoosh either.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hm. The first things that leap out (that I forgot to mention before, sorry) is you've got shadows. In old Lightwave, I set luminosity to 100% and diffuse to 0% to make the puddle "immune" to scene lighting. I don't see any reflections, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Does C4D have per-surface spherical environment maps for reflections?

              As for the Kawoosh, IIRC this is the best I've seen for doing it in CG, aside from ones on the show.

              Comment


              • #8
                I worked on the gate itself again. And I really like the look of it.

                I also started to work on the texture for the cover stone.That will probably take some time.^^
                Attached Files
                DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
                My B5 models: googledocs
                My garden diary: Hossenhof
                Elite Dangerous: Inara

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by David cgc View Post
                  Hm. The first things that leap out (that I forgot to mention before, sorry) is you've got shadows. In old Lightwave, I set luminosity to 100% and diffuse to 0% to make the puddle "immune" to scene lighting. I don't see any reflections, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Does C4D have per-surface spherical environment maps for reflections?
                  .
                  Yes it does have those.
                  DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
                  My B5 models: googledocs
                  My garden diary: Hossenhof
                  Elite Dangerous: Inara

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great job! love the modelling and surfacing especially the chervon surfacing and glows Id love to know how you got that effect.Is it just a texture? Ive been trying to replicate that effect but no luck so far.
                    We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dougx View Post
                      Great job! love the modelling and surfacing especially the chervon surfacing and glows Id love to know how you got that effect.Is it just a texture? Ive been trying to replicate that effect but no luck so far.
                      Thanks!

                      Its just a colour gradient with a dirt map in the luminosity channel. That map is also inverted used in the spec and the bump channel. :)
                      Attached Files
                      DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
                      My B5 models: googledocs
                      My garden diary: Hossenhof
                      Elite Dangerous: Inara

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lovely work Amras.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for the info Ill give that a go :)
                          We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Really nice work.
                            "Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a... middle"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Very nice!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Looks fantastic! :D
                                “My sword and my service are yours.”

                                “Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Superb modeling, textures and materials are looking really good

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    A basic animated version of my model for Wallpaper engine:
                                    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2089125569
                                    DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
                                    My B5 models: googledocs
                                    My garden diary: Hossenhof
                                    Elite Dangerous: Inara

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Very nice and im glad you finished it.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        cool
                                        Keep Flyin!
                                        https://keepflying.com/
                                        That Serenity Tutorial Guy.....
                                        http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

                                        SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
                                        http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X