X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3D Major Upgrade

Hi All,

Some of you might have guessed we're up to something based on how quiet I've been and the fact I am running behind on site updates. So, I thought I would share a little with you.

The site will be moving to a new server with full SW upgrades all around. When this version of the site was built it was incredibly current and brought a lot of innovation, some of which worked very well and some just didn't. Part of that was the "Portal" idea. Having a main landing page that branched out to other areas. Seemed very neat on paper but doesn't work so well in practice. That's just one example of how we are looking at everything, how it works, how it gets used or if it is even used at all as we build the new site. Here are a few details that might get you salivating a little.

1. As I said, moving to a new server. This server clocks in at about 1.5 TFlops. The new server turns out about 60+ TFlops. That's a huge performance increase.

2. Storage will increase exponentially, just suffice it to say we have multiple TB's at our disposal.

3. Memory will increase dramatically as well without laying out all the specifics.

4. Email, where is the email?! New email software will bring back the email notifications.

5. New IP's, this part is obvious, it come with good and bad. The good is no more being blocked by SPAM houses and the bad will be you will need to go through cache refreshing as the new IP populates.

6. Latest vB. We really considered Zenforro (very hard) but in the end I still have to pay for dev and importing what we need from this forum is easier and less time (dollars) going to the new vB. There are a lot of built in enhancements with the new version of vB so you will see some new toys to play with.

7. The Forums main page will be the main landing page and everything will be available from there. No more going to the front-page to get to the resources, the store or whatever.

8. Hot threads will be dynamic and driven by actual member activity rather than manually by an admin. YAY!

9. The headers will be replaced with the feature images. We're still working on whether that can be dynamic or not but at the least they will rotate the previous months feature images.

10. Downloads will link to their own thread in a release forum. You can blame Elowan for this one. In a good way! He kept insisting on posting messages to the resource release thread and it made me think that I might be missing something. Now each resource will have it's own thread and you can make comments or ask question directly about that item and hopefully, the owner/author will see it.

11. A new resource search and display page is in the works. It will have far more search capability and incorporates some very cool new ideas in creating the search tags which is driven somewhat by member activity. It does provide a base but if you keep using a specific search term it will adopt it. Well, that's Bob basic for how I understand it anyway.

12. We're playing right now with a viewer which allows you to see the model from any angle by rotating it.

13. Store items will be displayed randomly and rotation-ally on the forums main page. Most people don't even know they are there.

14. The gallery is going to be a big upgrade as it will be integrated completely into the forums. I haven't seen the early implementations on this yet but the way it was explained to me I decided to keep the galleries. They don't see much use right now but that just might change.

There's a lot more and as you can see this is a radical upgrade. Not so much that we're getting rid of anything as much as it is making it easier to access and more available to you as a user. The poll we took (way back when) helped a lot as you provided a lot of useful ideas and technology has just advanced to a point where it suggests some we didn't even think about until we started talking. I will say I am very excited about this upgrade and I think you are all really going to like it.

Finally, I am going to put this request out to those who may have the means. This upgrade has been a long time coming, mostly because my situation has changed so drastically. I am not going to give you a sob story, the last 4 years have been hard on many I know. But, this is an expensive upgrade and if you are able to help beyond the donations you provide through Premiere Membership then I would very much appreciate it. I won't twist your arms but I have found that if you don't ask you don't get. So, I am asking. I can assure you it's going to extremely good use. If you would like to donate, our Paypal email is:

F3D.sales@foundation3d.com

P.S. And finally, to those of you who are Premiere Members, please bear with me through this stage. I am getting models built back up to help keep things rolling through this process.
    The one thing you need to get past is simply the way you think. - William Vaughan
    My Photography / My 3D Work

Sounds cool Bob!

There's a couple of things that have been niggling me in the upgrades, and I really look forward to seeing them!

Just a thought, but how's about a contest for banner art? You'd need to specify some kind of style standards, (e.g. grey on a white background for the current ones).

Nick
    - - - - - -
    My web site: http://nick-stevens.com/
    Me on twitter, @runnymonkey, https://twitter.com/runnymonkey

Comment

I like these ideas for the new server. I will say this,
      12. We're playing right now with a viewer which allows you to see the model from any angle by rotating it.
      I've seen this feature on other sites and while it's great to see it, it can take forever to load depending on the ISP speed.
      Are you planning on increasing the price of premium membership? I've been trying to save enough to join again.
      If I can help, I'll be glad to. I only get paid monthly so I'll have to wait to see how much I can donate but I'll donate something. It may only be $20 but maybe more, it just depends on my bills. Best of luck on the upgrade.

Comment

I'm wondering if a Patreon campaign could help...

I'm on one for Scott Lowther, (occasional user of this board), to support his work publishing obscure space project docs. It encourages regular funding, and I suspect there's enough of a stock of premium content to release a few models a month from the archives, for non-premium members.
        - - - - - -

Comment

Originally posted by lonewriter View Post
          I like these ideas for the new server. I will say this,

I've seen this feature on other sites and while it's great to see it, it can take forever to load depending on the ISP speed.
          Are you planning on increasing the price of premium membership? I've been trying to save enough to join again.
          If I can help, I'll be glad to. I only get paid monthly so I'll have to wait to see how much I can donate but I'll donate something. It may only be $20 but maybe more, it just depends on my bills. Best of luck on the upgrade.
          The way we're looking at implementation is to have the render done on the user side. So you can choose what level you want and your PC does the work. That way it is not a drain on the server. Still looking at it and if we do use it most likely it would be an user selected option.
          The one thing you need to get past is simply the way you think. - William Vaughan

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase1 View Post
            I'm wondering if a Patreon campaign could help...

I'm on one for Scott Lowther, (occasional user of this board), to support his work publishing obscure space project docs. It encourages regular funding, and I suspect there's enough of a stock of premium content to release a few models a month from the archives, for non-premium members.
            Any and all help, however is cool. We will be making a couple of changes to PM. We will be creating an annual disk that goes out to PM's. This way we ship an actual product, something the CC companies and PayPal require for seller protection. Plus it allows us to set it up so PayPal users can opt for PayPal credit. We're looking at two options for paying 6 month and yearly. The six month option for PayPal users is just the same as the monthly, only we get our money and members make payments to PayPal. The yearly option is unchanged in that you get a discount for paying for a year. The reason we are doing this is because too many, far too many have been taking advantage of the current system. It hurts those who are faithful to the subscription and it hurts potential modelers and content providers if I can't afford to secure their work. In addition to not being fair to them it's not fair to me. When the site doesn't cover costs it comes directly out of my pocket. And as I said the past few years have not been kind to me on a personal financial level. I've been more than faithful on my part so I expect that from others.

Comment

Sounds cool Bob!

There's a couple of things that have been niggling me in the upgrades, and I really look forward to seeing them!

Just a thought, but how's about a contest for banner art? You'd need to specify some kind of style standards, (e.g. grey on a white background for the current ones).

Nick
              Nick, can you explain to me in more detail what you are thinking? I want to be sure I understand.

Comment

Well, at the moment we have these cool images that rotate at the top of the pages, right?

I was just thinking it might be cool to get members to do some new ones. Maybe even as part of an RA competition?

Nick
                - - - - - -

Comment

Well, at the moment we have these cool images that rotate at the top of the pages, right?

I was just thinking it might be cool to get members to do some new ones. Maybe even as part of an RA competition?

Nick
                  Ok, that's what I thought you were talking about. Those are going to be replaced with the feature image. The current and previous four images will rotate. Should make submitting finals a lot more rewarding.

Comment

That all sounds great! I'm definitely looking forward to those updates. :) Great work, and having run a number of websites and forums myself over the years, I know how much hard work is involved!
                    [ Would you like to know more? ]
                    [ "Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross ]

Comment

Bob I have emailed ,just let me know how .

Comment

It's difficult for many people to make front page because of the fantastic talent we have here , so how does this sound , for the people who take the time and effort to post here no matter their skill level ,why not reward there effort will a scrolling weekly post type thing if that makes any sense .
                        What do other people think ,it may be an incentive for more people to post ?

Comment

Or maybe just some kind of 'current' gallery, that shows the last 10-20 works (and keeps updating respectively) that were posted via a thread in the "Showcase" forum. With an option to open the picture and thread and then comment etc.
                          [ Would you like to know more? ]
                          [ "Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross ]

Comment

All sounds extremely promising, just going off what nick said earlier, what about a contest to design a new logo for the site. Just thought a fresh start, why not have a fresh look as well :)

Comment

Originally posted by david webster View Post
                              Bob I have emailed ,just let me know how .
                              Hi David,

I didn't see an email yet, can you use the private messages instead.

Comment

Alms, alms for the poor...

Hey Bob,

The upgrade sounds fantastic and I want to help out. Money is tight and I was sorta kinda waiting to get a premium membership because I didn't just want to get one month, download all the goodies I've been drooling over in the premium section, and then leave. I was hoping to be able to get a year and really help out. This site, and the Lightwave Group before it has been amazing and I want to do more than the one crappy model I have in the free resources.

But things at my job are a little hairy. I just found out I won't be getting my traveling expenses paid for like I did last year, so I'm spending a mess load on gas for my 135 mile daily commute. I drive a Honda Civic so I get decent mileage, but its still a lot of money. As a contractor, I don't get vacation, sick, or holiday pay, and have not had a raise in 2 years. Still, the way things are, I feel lucky to have a job.

Long story short, I'll break the bank and get a month long membership. I hope it helps.

Cheers! :D
                                “My sword and my service are yours.”

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcode View Post
                                  Hey Bob,

The upgrade sounds fantastic and I want to help out. Money is tight and I was sorta kinda waiting to get a premium membership because I didn't just want to get one month, download all the goodies I've been drooling over in the premium section, and then leave. I was hoping to be able to get a year and really help out. This site, and the Lightwave Group before it has been amazing and I want to do more than the one crappy model I have in the free resources.

But things at my job are a little hairy. I just found out I won't be getting my traveling expenses paid for like I did last year, so I'm spending a mess load on gas for my 135 mile daily commute. I drive a Honda Civic so I get decent mileage, but its still a lot of money. As a contractor, I don't get vacation, sick, or holiday pay, and have not had a raise in 2 years. Still, the way things are, I feel lucky to have a job.

Long story short, I'll break the bank and get a month long membership. I hope it helps.

Cheers! :D
                                  Thank you, I appreciate it very much. Man do I hear you about being a contractor. You work where you can get it and for some of us that means no benefits, no vacation and a swift kick out the door when the contract is up. So been there.

Comment

Bob, I've kind of taken the view that OI'm not particularly interested in the resources I would get as a full member, but I try and support the site y releasing a lot of stuff here, (and generally only here).

If it would help support you and F3d, I'd be very happy for meshes I upload to only go to full members, or to be assets sold to support the board. (As long as I can give free copies to the few who are helpful enough to give constructive feedback while I work on them!)

Nick
                                    - - - - - -

Comment

Bob, I've kind of taken the view that OI'm not particularly interested in the resources I would get as a full member, but I try and support the site y releasing a lot of stuff here, (and generally only here).

If it would help support you and F3d, I'd be very happy for meshes I upload to only go to full members, or to be assets sold to support the board. (As long as I can give free copies to the few who are helpful enough to give constructive feedback while I work on them!)

Nick
                                      Hey Nick, if you have some that you feel would be ok to release that way I would really appreciate it. But I don't want to lock everything out to general members. I'll leave that up to you but would certainly appreciate the help.

Comment

Its alive!!

I wasn't able to use the Forum for the last years because I couldn't get a connection most of the time.
                                        Sooooo glad its back! I didn't have any other place to go.

Missed you guys!!

Sorry if the question is answered somewhere. Don't have much time at the moment...:
                                        Whats with the free resources? Will there be a download section again? Because the links of the models that I found in that thread did go back to the Forum mainpage.

*edit: Never mind. Found the answer why the links arent working.^^*
                                        DA: https://www.deviantart.com/amras-arfeiniel
                                        My B5 models: googledocs
                                        My garden diary: Hossenhof
                                        Elite Dangerous: Inara

Comment

Originally posted by Amras View Post
                                          Its alive!!

I wasn't able to use the Forum for the last years because I couldn't get a connection most of the time.
                                          Sooooo glad its back! I didn't have any other place to go.

Missed you guys!!

Sorry if the question is answered somewhere. Don't have much time at the moment...:
                                          Whats with the free resources? Will there be a download section again? Because the links of the models that I found in that thread did go back to the Forum mainpage.

*edit: Never mind. Found the answer why the links arent working.^^*
                                          Welcome back! We missed you too!
                                          Those who say it can't be done,
                                          should stop interrupting those of us who are busy doing it!

------------------------------------------------------------
                                          Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                          Beechcraft 2000 airplane
                                          LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)

Comment

I'm glad to see this forum upgrade. It really looks awesome and works well!
                                            Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Comment

liking the new upgrade
                                              Keep Flyin!
                                              https://keepflying.com/
                                              That Serenity Tutorial Guy.....
                                              http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
                                              http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445

Comment

I'm still here El Guapo!
                                                Facebook - Andy Crook

Comment

Checking in. Like an idiot I was still using an old bookmark so was getting an 404 error.
                                                  "Fabricati Diem"
                                                  Facebook DeviantArt

Comment

Welcome back one and all!
                                                    Those who say it can't be done,
                                                    should stop interrupting those of us who are busy doing it!

------------------------------------------------------------
                                                    Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                    Beechcraft 2000 airplane
                                                    LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)

Comment

Good to see so many returning. I have to admit I am still learning the new system so a little late to the posting party.

Comment

It's good to be home.

Comment

Working...
                                                        X