Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site work 04/14/20

Hey all,

Did some work in the server panel today and cleaned up several things and rebound the DNS servers. It appears to be working a little better since then. Let me know what your experience is. If it seems useful I will routinely bind the DNS servers until I can have someone look into it.
    The one thing you need to get past is simply the way you think. - William Vaughan
    My Photography / My 3D Work

Thank you. Will report if there are problems.
    Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Comment

04/16/20

More on this subject. There is a lot of clean up going on in the background right now so that could make the server seems slow. In the long run it will clear up memory usage and clear out some space on the boot disk. Both of those will ensure the server isn't being clogged down due to its own limitations.

On a mid range note.

I am working with a new potential hosting service which would remove the BW limitations. More on that as it develops. That could include moving the site to a new server with more memory and disk space.

I am looking at eliminating the EXIM email server all together. It has always been like an open door for hackers and I am not a S/W - H/W - Network engineer. Its gotten far more complex and you would need to be working in that field everyday to be up to date and at the top of your game. I will be looking to other email delivery methods to open registration back up the way it should be.

In the meantime I have a relative who is good with servers helping me clean it up and get it stable and working as well as it can while I work towards a mid range solution.
      The one thing you need to get past is simply the way you think. - William Vaughan

Comment

Appreciate all your hard work Bob. This site is like Home! :D
        “My sword and my service are yours.”

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcode View Post
          Thanks, I am definitely back none too soon. I don't think the server would've survived another 6 months without direct attention.

Comment

Glad you're back and looking after things. Wasn't quite the same around here while you were away.
            My Blog - Caponata Studios

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcode View Post
              What he said! :)
              Intel Core i7-5960X @4.3 GHz. 32.0 GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
              GeForce GTX 980 @ 2560 x 1440, 144Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTed View Post
                What he said! :)
                What they said :tu:
                SpacialKatana on YouTube
                Lightwave2015.3 * i9 9900K * Win10 64Bit * 1TB WD SSD * 32GB DDR4 * Asus RTX 2080 OC

Comment

Ditto :)
                  "Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a... middle"

Comment

A current update. Found some sector errors so the transfer is going a bit slower but everything is intact. It'll be nice to be on a new server that is maintained by the host. Owning a server just doesn't make much sense for a single owner site like F3D anymore. There's not only a lot of maintenance and unexpected expenses but technology and hackers far out pace ones ability to stay on top of it all. Anyway, we're getting there but slower than anticipated.

Comment

By now I am sure you are all noticing some speed improvements with the site overall. We're still moving things across but we have taken measures to ensure database integrity as the old server near cardiac arrest if you put it in medical terms. Over the next week we hope to have everything moved across and stabilized on the new server. At that point we will be cloning it to start the process of modernizing the software. When done it'll look quite different I'm sure but standardization means easy updates and security patches. It also means SEO friendly. So, onward and forward.

Comment

Hopefully everything will work out, I wish you the best of luck

Comment

As things seem to be working, I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself and fill you in on what's going on behind the scenes.

My name is Kalani, and I was one of the original people who worked on this server back near the beginning - before it even got the current name. I helped design the current server architecture a decade ago, even configuring the server and it's backup, loading them into the back seat of my car, and driving them to Idaho to install them in their current home. While it has held up really well and better than I ever hoped, it is really time we do an upgrade.

Bob reached out to me a few weeks ago, and I agreed to come back and help out, modernize all the things and help make it the best it can be.

To that end, I am moving it to a cluster. There are 3 servers around the world to serve as backups to one another but also make things faster for users. No more will we have a 10Mbps throughput limit or data caps, we will instead have 10Gbps and unlimited data.

The number of processing cores are being increased from 2 to 48 per server. Memory from 8GB to 64GB. Storage is also going up with 3 tiers - SSD for application stack and cache, an 8 HDD Raid Array, and encrypted cloud storage for less common resources and backups.

I understand this is far more than the community needs, but that's because we will be leveraging a TON of new features in the near future.

While the main goal is to help with performance and discoverability of the content you choose to share, the secondary goal is to make the experiences better in every way.

Well, we are a 3D Modeling and Animation community, so the idea of file size limits is a bit archaic... They'll be going away completely. Along with it there will be native support for displaying your art... Not just still renders or a video, I'll be adding a WebGL Player and Mesh Viewer as well so if you choose, you can upload your models securely where you control if someone can download them or not, and yet still allow someone to pan, rotate, zoom, and all around explore your creations!

This takes us to the next piece... per user portfolios. Any of the content you want, shown exactly how you want it with your own custom layouts, colors, and as much of your content as you want.

This is obviously going to be a lot of work and take some time after all.

So, let's talk the timeline:

Right now, I have augmented the current server with resources of the new server cluster. This should help make things a little faster and more stable in the mean time. Some things are running on the old server still, but the stuff that requires heavy lifting like the database have been moved to the new ones.

Within the next 3 weeks, we should be fully migrated to the new cluster, and along with it make it as stable, performant, secure as possible. At this point, the restrictions around filesize will be lifted so you can share the best versions of your content with others.

Within the next 6 weeks, the software stack will be upgraded to modern tools. This will carry with it a change to the visual design and experience, but it will be familiar. Design and features will continue to evolve.

Within the next 3 months, we will launch the mesh viewer and portfolio beta.

There is much more is coming after that, and as the project continues I would certainly appreciate feedback and suggestions.

Comment

Sounds like good times ahead Kalani, and thanks for all your help in keeping us going.

Comment

Guys, I just have to say how much this is all appreciated. It's far, far more than I had dared ask for. I Just wanted to get us stable. He deserves a huge round of kudos!

Comment

Been reading updates from Kalani in the staff area. Get ready for a rocket ride, just saying when he does flip the switch it's going to put the site on warp drive.

Comment

So excited!
                                  My Blog - Caponata Studios

Comment

Greetings kalani, I'm sure I speak for all us regulars that've stuck around when I say the work you're doing now and going forward is greatly appreciated.

Stay safe and avoid humans m8 ;)
                                    SpacialKatana on YouTube
                                    Lightwave2015.3 * i9 9900K * Win10 64Bit * 1TB WD SSD * 32GB DDR4 * Asus RTX 2080 OC

Comment

Some of you have reached out to me and would like to either contribute to the update or provide testing.

All is welcomed.

For testing send a PM to me and I will copy Kalani on it. We have a Discord channel where we are live chatting about the updates and so on. That will likely be where we allow testers to provide input and report bugs.

When it comes to models to help with the new site I think it will be best to have Kalani in the discussion. He understands the new profile set up better than anyone and how that can work best. While everything will look familiar it's going to allow a lot of individual control which just wasn't possible before. So we need to work that through with member who are will to test and help in the process.

Others have offered to help with development either directly or through graphics. That is entirely up to Kalani. Again, if you've reached out to me then I will put you in contact with him. The dev work is entirely up to him and at his direction.

No matter what do feel free to reach me by PM or on FB. Either way works for me.

Here is a list so far, I will add to this list as appropriate so Kalani can make contact or so we can add you to the test channel.

Marty Miller - Offers graphics design help
                                      Tony Gardner - Testing and models

Comment

You, er, need anything blowing up ? ;)
                                        SpacialKatana on YouTube

Comment

Hey Bob,

I've noticed already that the site works much better and faster than it did before.

Thanks! :D
                                          “My sword and my service are yours.”

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”

Comment

We have moved to our new servers, however there is still a lot more work left to do.

Over the coming days, we will be upgrading a lot of our software packages and starting to roll out new features.

Comment

Looking good Kalani, the site certainly seems much faster.
                                              "Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a... middle"

Comment

As noted many updates over the weekend. Since we are completely cut over to the new servers performance should be a thing of the past. I have noticed on hole in the DB this morning and will work with Kalani but it appears to only have affected on Thread. If that's the case then it's a stellar job of handling the change over. If you notice any oddities with the forums please let Kalani or I know. Better to catch items now than later.

As for resources, they will be back. The store will not be back and the galleries will be handled through portfolios. That means some portions of the forums themselves will change as we had sub forms trying to handles features. Those will no longer be needed. So, we will be streamlining the forums to some extent. Just giving you a heads up as I can see at least two sub forums which will no longer be needed.

Comment

We've lost the navigation links at the bottom of a thread. Deja vu!

So after scrolling to the bottom of a thread, you then have to scroll back up to the top to navigate back. Yes, you can click the back button on the browser, but then the thread doesn't get marked as read. Little thing, not a deal breaker.
                                                  Those who say it can't be done,
                                                  should stop interrupting those of us who are busy doing it!

------------------------------------------------------------
                                                  Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                  Beechcraft 2000 airplane
                                                  LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)

Comment

Thanks Rigel, the kind of feedback we need to squash bugs.

Comment

I am considering those issues cosmetic at present.

We are still on vBulletin 3.8.11, whereas we will be upgrading to vBulletin 5.6.1 very soon.

The way our theme worked previously relied on PHP Code that was end of lifed in PHP 5.6, and we will be upgrading to PHP 7.4 so we have a stable foundation.

Once we upgrade to the latest vBulletin, I will be re-creating and updating our theme and functionality.

Comment

Like most of you I am going to be getting used to the new vB layout. What won't take me any time to get used is the fact that it's stable. :D Thanks Kalani!

Comment

Where is the resources?

Comment

Still working on it. Content that relied on Subdreamer needs re-written. Attachments and working now and use the vBulletin standard. Store and Gallery are being reconfigured, and Resources is next on my list. Unfortunately, server failure on our old server pushed this project forward a little faster than I was hoping.

Comment

*Biggest issue atm is how much web client are screaming bout the lack of a secure connection here.

*A functionality that almost all new forums lack which I find insane is the "new posts" for the entire forum.

Ugh yuck the autosave post crap is here as well as the cnp of data that is not text only. Broken img icon above is me copying a image from psp7 and hitting ctrl+c here. Forums should not be grabbing data outside of text. It is a security and privacy issue exp if it is not manageable on the member level.

Also the autosave is nothing more than a keylogger leaving fingerprints on the server with auto saves that might not be something someone wants left behind. Not to mention the constant autosaving is bloody annoying.

-----Ok this might block the autouploader thing but if it is like SFM itll break the attachments system too.
                                                              http://foundation3d.com/js/file-upload-rollup-561.js

----think this is the autosave, yup not seeing the annoying "autosaved" toast.
                                                              http://foundation3d.com/ajax/api/editor/autosave

Again this might all be crap that is planned, known about, etc.

OH YEAH, how much of the new stuff can we mess about with? Seeing all sorts of extra stuff in the profile area etc.

HEH I keep editing this. Another question, is there a reason forums are blocking the ability to click drag a link into another open window/tab. I browse like this to keep a set of tabs with just sites I visit and another window for browsing the forums. SO I click and drag links into a existing tab but it is blocked as a field I cannot drag a link to. Update here and suddenly it no longer works. Is it a security thing ?
                                                              "The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they do not conflict with the state.", Quinn
                                                              -= BLOG | WIP BLOG =-

Comment

Thanks for your feedback and I will address that on a point by point basis:

1) New SSL Cert has been added. With the change of our DNS Servers, we needed to re-verify the domain and had a few extra hoops to jump through. As well, our old certificate was a Self Signed but trusted as issued by cPanel, our old server management system.

2) The behavior you are seeing with "grabbing data outside of text" is me trying to get rich media posts working, where you will be able to copy and paste an image or attachment into the text field, and give people more control over how that content will be displayed. I will be adding it as a setting on user profiles and within the Advanced Options menu on the Post form in the next few days that users can turn on or off. Until I can finish getting that implemented, users will still need to use the File Uploader just as they always have. In the mean time, until I can get the feature fully working as well as expose a setting for you to adjust, if you don't want to use any rich media features you can use the "Paste as Plain Text" option.

3) Auto-Save is stored in the HTML5 Cache of your web browser and is not sent to the server. However if you have concerns with it, I have no objections to adding a settings toggle where that too can be disabled if you want. This system is entirely self hosted, I have audited the code in advance and have performed Nessus, MetaSploit, nCrack tests to assess overall security and am addressing all identified issues so user content is safe. I know there are still several issues that need addressed, but should have them addressed in the next few days.

To that end, we are using physical servers with filesystem and database encryption, our backups themselves too are encrypted prior to offloading from our servers, and there will be regular audits to ensure things stay safe, including notifying users via 1Password's Watchtower API to detect any compromised usernames and passwords that have been uncovered in other companies data breaches. I expect to have this live within the next week.

5) The intent is to allow the new system to be COMPLETELY customizable by users. Most of that is coming with the new Profiles module that I am building.

I understand that the move to the new server was premature, however it was unavoidable as there was a hardware failure on the old server that caused it to start losing files.
                                                                We had been copying data to the new servers for a few weeks beforehand, and my original intent was to keep the old site running for another few weeks while I ironed out the kinks that you're seeing here. As well, in the next couple days all file size restrictions are being removed.

So, here's what's coming soon...
                                                                The portfolio system allows users to host their own websites here if they want. You will get a sub-domain on foundation3d.com, or can point your own personal domain to our servers if you want. There, you can use a drag-and-drop editor to build a website to show off your work, or if you are comfortable with HTML and CSS you can have full control over that too.

That site includes a resource manager system where you can upload pictures, video, models, or other document types and choose "allow viewing", "allow downloading", "allow remixing", and "allow sale".

You set the Licensing Terms for those files (defaults are given, but you can also write your own!), you can set and control prices, and you control the payment processing. If you want to use your own Stripe, Square, PayPal, Patreon, or Merchant Account, you can. We collect no fees. You can list multiple terms for a single item, for example having non-commercial and commercial licensing options.

Included in the Portfolio system is a WebGL-Based 3D Model Viewer that let's someone pan, zoom, move and change lighting of any uploaded models so they can fully inspect and see what you've created and removing any ambiguity around "it was a misleading render" that often leads to people demanding refunds.

You can post blog posts, videos, asset groups / series, even things like tutorial packs and you retain full copyright and control over how they're used.

That area is entirely your own to best advertise yourself, your work, and if you choose can use it to generate income.

Any item you add there has the option of one-click sharing to participate in forum threads, site-wide contests or events, or to use as a secure file share where you can "generate read-only link" to post elsewhere.

The intent is to allow you to have full customizability over the site - not just your Portfolio page but allowing you to create or modify your own theme for accessing the forum and giving you full control over any user-specific settings.

I hope that you can please be patient with me, as I am doing this work on my own as fast as I possibly can, am not being paid, and in fact have spent $700 this month on this project with with long term expenses of $300 / month.

As soon as I finish getting things upgraded, configured, and working as we want, I will be posting some guides to allow users to understand what they have control over, what's changed, and how to use new features.

Comment

Cool, elsewhere the autosave was being saved as files we could "delete" Ended up doing a weekly deletathon as it would save a bunch for every post made. I just wanted to voice the options to get them out there. Having it as a option toggle is good for those with clients it might cause conflict with. I have managed them on my own for now with scripts.

OK, the cnp thing had me shocked as it posted a huge mass of text. It is a neat feature but eh. But if it is manageable in a file manager any ops pastes can be dealt with or removed is good. Other site has no manager so these huge PNGs are stuck there eating space until admin can delete them.
                                                                  Last edited by Madkoifish; 13th May 2020, 07:12 AM. Reason: messing with some of the roll outs.
                                                                  "The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they do not conflict with the state.", Quinn
                                                                  -= BLOG | WIP BLOG =-

Comment

Hmmm. I just tried to edit my avatar and even though I uploaded the same image I've been using all along, it gave me the message that the image was blocked by the file scanner and removed from the server.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                    Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

I have enabled virus scanning of all content uploaded to the server so there's no risk of sharing something nasty to other members. I am guessing that I messed something up on the avatar processor.
                                                                      Thanks for letting me know and I will get this sorted out later this evening.

Comment

Welcome Kalani, I'm sure I speak for all our old timers to thank you for helping to clean up our site. I've had trouble logging on for awhile and I am so glad it's going to be fixed. Good luck with the upgrade, I will be glad to help any way I can. update, I noticed when I came back this morning I had to log back in manually even though I clicked the auto save feature.

Comment

I just spent some time in my old Firefly thread, changing all of the attached images to in-line images. This new editor makes that very easy to do! Try it out on one of your old threads. Assuming your images are just attachments at this point.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                          Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

I am also working on a SQL Script that will update all existing attachments to in-line content, and I expect to get that finished in the next few days.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Wow. I was happy as heck to get 3DG back up and running, but what I am seeing here is really impressive. Look forward to seeing it all finished.
                                                                              Last edited by Darrell Lawrence; 15th May 2020, 01:15 AM. Reason: Never buy a keyboard from a Ferengi.
                                                                              LoneWolf Grafix- Web Design and CGI

3D Gladiators- The Art of Fantasy and SciFi

Colonial Fleets- The Art of Galactica

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Maybe cannot see,but where is the new posts button?

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by ronaldheld View Post
                                                                                  Maybe cannot see,but where is the new posts button?
                                                                                  Do you mean, to start a new thread? There should be a New Topic button right at the top of the list of topics. Just like the Post Reply button at the top of this topic.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                                  Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Holy cow, the site is moving at Warp 9.975 compared to before. Well done!
                                                                                    My crappy blog

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      No. On the old site, there was a new posts button, that showed all the new Posts since the last time I visited F3D. Where is it on the new site?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        It's a link at the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	605174

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                                        Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Two things to note:

You've probably noticed that your avatar image is missing. Now that our virus scanner isn't rejecting everything you try to upload, feel free to re-upload your avatar image. When you go into your profile to edit it, you'll see the avatar there. Just click to edit it, upload the image and save it. Shortly after, your avatar will once again appear all over the message boards!

Second, if you haven't noticed yet, threads and posts now give you the option to "like" them!

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                                          Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Is the little bar between your user group and your join date some sort of "karma" indicator tied to the like button? Or, is it something we're not using and is going to be removed as the theme customization continues?

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by David cgc View Post
                                                                                              Is the little bar between your user group and your join date some sort of "karma" indicator tied to the like button? Or, is it something we're not using and is going to be removed as the theme customization continues?
                                                                                              Oh. I didn't notice that. Decoration maybe? Other than that, I have no idea.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                                              Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                The little bar between Title and Join Date is a Reputation Score.
                                                                                                It is intended to help visually show users who receive thanks, likes, who post quality content, as well as those who may receive warnings, cause drama, or any undesirable behavior.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Rigel View Post
                                                                                                  Second, if you haven't noticed yet, threads and posts now give you the option to "like" them!
                                                                                                  I tested it by liking your post ;)

It's like the website caught up with technology :P

SpacialKatana on YouTube

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    That's not fair! <smiley face 'cuz the emojiis aren't working yet> I've liked several posts and don't have any blips on my bar!

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
                                                                                                    Beechcraft 2000 airplane

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                    X